I am on a mission to live the best life possible. I have wasted so much time because of my alcoholism. I feel stunted in many ways, yet I realize that there are many aspects of my life that simply wouldn’t be if I had lived in a different way.
Through continually trying to find the right way to live, to have peace, to be able to forgive myself, to be less selfish, to right so many wrongs and to want to live a simple but good life, my journey has led me to many resources of strength and direction. One of which is the Bible.
The principles in the Bible are practical and make a lot of sense to me. I think whether you are in faith or not, you will find them to be a great road map for your life.
I have a confession to make…..since becoming a Christian (or trying to become one) and having some really good times because of it; I very quickly became a hypocrite. I found myself being really judgemental of people; believing that they just didn’t get it, or needed more faith, or that they were fake Christians because of the way I thought they showed a mistrust in God. It has been a bumpy road for me recently and very unpleasant, I think I have been given a good dose of humility and for that I am thankful. My judging days are coming to a close and I intend to exercise acceptance of those I come into contact with regardless of my tendency to judge. Not easy but necessary!
I hope that I have not turned any of you readers off by my new focus on the Bible. I am just doing all that I can to learn and to share what works and doesn’t work for me. If you are a Christian then fantastic, and if you are not then I am praying for you!
The commands from Romans 12;
- Give your bodies to God. Let them be a living and holy sacrifice
- Don’t copy the behaviors and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God’s will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.
- Don’t think you are better than you really are.
- Be honest in your evaluation of yourselves, measuring yourselves by the faith God has given us.
- If God has given you the ability to prophecy, speak out with as much faith as God has given you.
- If your gift is serving others, serve them well.
- If you are a teacher, teach well.
- If your gift is to encourage others, be encouraging.
- If it is giving, give generously.
- If God has given you leadership ability, take the responsibility seriously.
- And if you have a gift for showing kindness to others, do it gladly.
- Don’t just pretend to love others. Really love them.
- Hate what is wrong.
- Hold tightly to what is good.
- Love each other with genuine affection, and take delight in honoring each other.
- Never be lazy, but work hard and serve the Lord enthusiastically.
- Rejoice in our confident hope
- Be patient in trouble, and keep on praying.
- When God’s people are in need, be ready to help them.
- Always be eager to practice hospitality.
- Bless those who persecute you. Don’t curse them; pray that God will bless them.
- Be happy with those who are happy, and weep with those who weep.
- Live in harmony with each other.
- Don’t be too proud to enjoy the company of ordinary people. And, don’t think you know it all!
- Never pay back evil with more evil.
- Do things in such a way that everyone can see you are honorable.
- Do all that you can to live in peace with everyone.
- Never take revenge. Leave that to the righteous anger of God.
- If your enemies are hungry, feed them. If they are thirsty, give them something to drink.
- Dont’ let evil conquer you, but conquer evil by doing good.Enjoy!